Sunday, April 17, 2011

Fruits of My Weekend Labor

Alright people! You want to see my portfolio?!


You didn't think I was going to start you off with the final product did you?! :P

Sketches
My first though on materials: mat board.
 Since I couldn't use the full size suitcase like I wanted, I decided to downsize. Therefore, that meant building one... from scratch. SO... I started sketching. And taking notes. And more sketching...

Then, I started implementing and putting together some prototypes. Ended up not even using mat board at all...



These are the boards that go on the inside. They are 5x7. Brilliant, right? lol That was most of Saturday, actually... It took forever to figure out what was wrong with the printer. The two on the far right printed off just fine, but when I had to print off the pictures that were full color and everything, they looked horrible. Turned off the gloss optimizer, as Travis suggested, and they printed out beautifully! ^_^

The labels on the backs of the boards with the information.

Top of the top... :P This is the texture I used all over. It's actually some resume paper that I picked up about a year ago to print my resume and stuff on, but never used... Perfect for this!

Inside of the top. Resume on the left, business card on the right. Used transparent photo corners to keep them in place.

 Now, most of today was actually putting the whole thing together. Very tedious. Being the perfectionist that I am, it probably took me a little longer than needed. However, I think it paid off!



All of the same thing, just 3 different states. 
I think lining the inside may have been the most intricate part... or perhaps wrapping every piece of foam board with paper. So much glue. LOL Anyway, the canvas string lies underneath the boards in order to help me lift them out. :D Still stumped on how to fill that empty gap between the canvas "box" and the outside walls. :S I wanted to make the canvas go from the "box" to the outside walls so it looks like the boards are just sunk into a "bed of canvas" or sorts... Just couldn't figure out how. :S

Alright... are you ready for them? Here are the pictures of the final result!

The insides... 
And the outside! Found parts to make it look like a suitcase!

They make it look real!
So that's what my weekend consisted of. :P Now, I get to try it out tomorrow for my interview with Fresh Produce! ^_^ I'm excited!


Stay Tuned!

3 comments:

  1. awesome i LOVE it!! you're so creative

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ohhhh! It looks perfect! Great work. You're gonna knock the socks off 'em!
    Good luck!! =D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you, guys! You can believe I will be blogging again tomorrow to tell you guys all about the interview. ^_^

    ReplyDelete