Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Trademarking

Alright people. As you may or may not know... I have a few freelance jobs coming up (i.e. wedding invites & photos)... So, I want to come up with a "company name" for myself... so to speak. Here are my options...

First, do I use:
-MelJean
-Melissa Jean
    or something else like...
-Traveling Artist
-Starving Artist

Then, what about these choices:
-Productions (almost seems too... animating studio-ish)
-Graphics (overused?)
-Media (too interactive-based...? I don't do web...)
-Boutique (too... flowery...?)
-Designs (too plain.)

So... make combinations from all of those... I'm not sure which one I'd like. The services that I would offer would be:

-Fine art
-Graphic design
-Minor video editing
-Very minor photography

So mostly fine art and graphic design... I have no right to call myself a photographer... so I don't want to give that impression. So... yea. Thinking I need to keep thinking... Bleh.


Stay Tuned! (... and let me know your thoughts!)

4 comments:

  1. My favorite is Melissa Jean. Maybe that's just cuz it's what everyone already knows you as. As for the other choices, I'm not sure. I think I like "Melissa Jean Media" but I do agree, it seems like it would include animation/sound/web/something. But it also makes sense because of the fine art part of you...because that's a "media" word. Hmmmm....Yep, gonna need to put the thinking cap on. =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Definitely thinking Melissa Jean as well... MelJean is more of my "fine art name" anyway... Then, Donna also posted this on FB:

    "Ok, here's my very own personal opinion which you can do whatever you want with, just don't yell at me for it or get offended. All the names you have as examples are kind of tacky. You're a fine arts/creative artist person- think of a cool name that isn't your first name like most small town photography places and stuff like that. Second the traveling artist/starving artists screams that you are brand new and have no clue as to what you're doing- in my opinion. Think about what you love and what helps describe your talents/who you are/what you want to do/etc. and come up with a name that way. BE CREATIVE- IT'S YOUR FREAKING MAJOR!!! That is all. P.S. if you need help coming up with a cool name, I could totally help you out, otherwise good luck"

    Sadly, I have to agree with her... I'm not sold on any of the ones that I put up there.... Ugh. Definitely need to put the thinking cap on. :S

    ReplyDelete
  3. Honestly, I'd just do "Melissa Jean". It's a personal brand, and then you are not pigeonholing yourself into anything if you later on learn something new. I like the thought of seeing "Melissa Jean" on the back of a wedding program or something. You've already established that name/brand for yourself (I know you as Melissa Jean, not Melissa Pickerign.) You know you won't get sick of it, as you might with some other 'creative' names.

    If you feel you MUST have some sort of qualifier with it, then do Melissa Jean Design. Still not pigeonholing yourself into one niche, but it will define what you do.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for that... I guess I was caught up in the thought that I needed some kind of clever name to represent me. Bleh...

    Thank you again, truly. :)

    ReplyDelete